Prenatal fetal DNA paternity testing Prenatal fetal DNA paternity testing
O.G.M.S. TOP > Prenatal fetal DNA paternity testing

Prenatal fetal DNA paternity testing

A paternity test can be performed from the beginning of pregnancy without damaging the fetus.
Paternity testing is performed by comparing fetal DNA with mother's DNA, and potentially father's DNA, by next-generation sequencing (NGS). Fetal DNA can be tested by simply collecting blood from the mother without damaging the fetus.

How can a fetal DNA test be done with the mother's blood?

This is because the fetal DNA is contained in the mother's blood.
From the 6th week of pregnancy, fetal DNA begins to flow into the mother's blood through the placenta. After that, the amount of fetal DNA in the maternal blood increases in proportion to the gestation period, and reaches a high level after the 14th week of gestation. Therefore, fetal DNA is extracted from maternal blood and used for analysis.

From what week of pregnancy can you start the test?

It can be tested from the 7th week of pregnancy at the earliest.
However, the amount of fetal DNA in maternal blood varies greatly from person to person. The earlier the test is performed, the less fetal DNA can be recovered, and sometimes in early cases there is not enough for the test.
Also, in a case where the fetus has already died (for example due to ectopic pregnancy) fetal DNA will not be found in the mother’s bloodstream.
Therefore, please have a medical examination in advance to confirm that you have a normal pregnancy, and then collect blood after the 7th week of pregnancy.
Blood will be collected at a medical institution designated by us.

How do you collect the DNA of the mother and also a man who may be the father?

Rub the inside of the cheek with a cotton swab to collect the oral epithelium and submit that sample.

How accurate is the test?

For affirmation of parent-child relationship, paternity affirmation probability of 99.99% or more is judged, and for denial, paternity affirmation probability of 0% is judged as the minimum guaranteed accuracy.
100% appraisal is theoretically impossible, but there is virtually no way to deny the result obtained with a 99.9% paternity affirmation probability. (Another test would have the same result.)
There is an exception if the man who appears to be the father is an identical twin, as both twins would have the same genotype.

What kind of appraisal is it?

There are two types of appraisal, "private appraisal" and "legal appraisal.”
Private appraisal: An appraisal conducted for the purpose of personal confirmation.
Legal appraisal: An appraisal intended to be used as proof of parent-child relationship in mediation and trials.
There is no difference in the accuracy of the appraisal results.

Inquiries │

We accept inquiries by email.  Tokyo · Osaka │ O.G.M.S.

Here is the mail to O.G.M.S.

Prenatal fetal DNA paternity testing

The email address may vary depending on the content of your inquiry. Please check the mail address on each service page.

There may be a delayed reply to inquiries received at night, weekends/holidays, winter and summer break.
It may take some time to reply depending on the nature of the inquiry.